The Importance of Matching Exercises to Your Body Type
Have you been working out for months and still haven’t got the results you were after? This could be because you aren’t doing the right exercises for your body type. Often people will look in magazines and on websites to find exercises to do. The problem with those exercises is that they are not specific to your own individual body and needs. Put simply, generic exercises don’t work in the same way for every body type.
So the real key to losing weight and getting into shape is to first figure out what your body type is. That way you can tailor your workouts with exercises that are geared towards your specific body type. And when you do, you’ll find it becomes a lot easier to drop those unwanted pounds. This is a method I always adopt with my clients – fitness should never be ‘one size fits all’.
Want help to match your training to your body type?
10-Week Lean is my online fitness program with unique workouts and nutrition advice designed to work with each body type. It’s all run from a closed Facebook page for small groups of up to 20 so we can stay in touch and I can share my tips and knowledge with you throughout. The latest 10-Week Lean is currently underway. Register your interest in 10-Week Lean to be the first to hear when the next group start date is announced.
There are 3 different body types that we all fall under: ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph. And while these aren’t set in stone, they will give you a better idea of how you need to workout to get the best results.
So let’s briefly discuss each body type and some tips for tailoring exercise and nutrition to each one.
Ectomorphs are generally very skinny. They have a small frame and a super fast metabolism and have a hard time gaining weight. They need to eat a great deal of calories to gain weight. They can develop lean muscle quickly and easily.
Fitness Tips for Ectomorphs
- Ectomorphs should keep their workouts short and very intense – High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts suit them well.
- Take the right supplements to build more muscle, such as whey protein.
- Eat more complex carbohydrates to increase calorie intake – such as brown rice, brown pasta, wholemeal bagels, yams and sweet potatoes.
- Eat every night before bed. This will prevent muscle catabolism while you sleep.
Mesomorphs are naturally athletic. They generally have large muscles and a large bone structure. If you want to get into bodybuilding this is the best body type to have. For mesomorphs, gaining and losing weight is easy.
Fitness Tips for Mesomorphs
- Mesomorphs are naturally strong and their bodies respond great to resistance or weight training
- Watch what you eat because mesomorphs can gain weight very quickly, but you’ll also want to eat enough to maintain your muscle mass
- Mesomorphs can usually strength train more often and for longer periods of time, but be careful not to overdo it, and remember to factor in recovery days
- As for supplements, mesomorphs usually respond well to creatine.
The endomorph body type is the more solid body type. They tend to gain weight quite easily. The bulk of the weight they gain is fat.
Fitness tips for Endomorphs
- To keep their weight down, cardio is extremely important for endomorphs, especially intense interval-based exercises rather than plodding away on a treadmill for long periods of time.
- Weight training is also very important, such as compound lifts, and exercises that focus on your upper body.
- As long as you get plenty of protein in your diet you don’t have to worry about taking any supplements.
- High protein and fibre and low carb is a good general principle for endomorph diets.
Now that you know the 3 different body types, you need to pinpoint which one is the closest representation of your body. Once you know your body type, you can start training and eating the right way. And once you start training and eating the right way, you will start to get the results you want.
And remember that these body types aren’t set in stone. Some people will be a combination of two different body types. And truth be told, no matter what body type you are, if you are willing to put in the time and work hard you can achieve any physique you want.Learn about my 10-Week Lean Program